hanlyblog

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Grace to Obedience to Peace

"To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throught Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood. Grace and peace be yours in abundance."
-1 Peter 1:1-2

I am chosen unto a life of obedience. I am chosen unto a life of obedience to Jesus. Who wants to be obedient? I thought when you turned 18 that was when you got to stop being obedient? But a child's obedience is for his own good. If he's got good parents, then his obedience is for his own good. The difference between a child and an adult is not that an adult doesn't have to be obedient any more--it's that he realizes that obedience is for his own good. That's what it means to grow up and become mature.

We are all a bunch of children who still don't get that obedience is abundance. Lord, I don't know how to be obedient. At every turn, in my mind, my heart, my actions I want to rebel. I can't do it.

"Grace and peace be yours in abundance. . ." Grace because I need it to be obedient--abundantly--peace, the fruit of my obedience. May the sanctifying work of Your Spirit move me to obedience.

Peace means harmony. All systems go. Everything in me operating in sync with myself and with the world. I feel so disjointed. So does the guy serving coffee. He must be new here. I asked for a cup of decaf and a cup of water. Not a hard order. But he needed me to repeat myself. He seemed rattled. Disjointed. Not at peace. He was really trying to be nice and I could tell he felt really stupid for not remembering my order 3 seconds after I ordered it. He's racing around right now filling coffee cups, smiling, trying to figure out the register. Lord give him grace that he might experience peace. Peace is the fruit of grace--give him both abundantly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home