hanlyblog

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Vegemite

"11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."
--1 Peter 2:11-12

I hate vegemite. Nothing more clearly and succinctly reveals that my dad and I were brought up in different worlds than our relationship to vegemite. I hate it. He loves it. I am an alien and a stranger to the world of vegemite. In the same way then that I feel alienated and estranged from the world of vegemite, so am I to feel estranged from the world of sin. The world covers its life with sin like an Australian covers his bread with vegemite and cannot fathom why we abstain from such a delightful treat. We once were sons of darkness but now we are sons of light--New birth into the new world which makes us strangers from the old. But do I hate sin as much as I hate vegemite? Have I been fully born into the new world or am I still a son of my earthly father?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home