hanlyblog

Friday, January 25, 2008

Troubled Heart

16 Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.

17 The troubles of my heart have multiplied;
free me from my anguish.

18 Look upon my affliction and my distress
and take away all my sins.
--Psalm 25:16-18

Loneliness is not the same as being alone. You can be lonely in a crowd of people. You can be lonely around your friends. John Mayer says "I'm not alone, I wish I was, cause then I'd know I was down because I couldn't find a friend around to love me like they do right now." I have felt quite lonely lately. The passage goes on to say, and I believe it to be linked to the previous verse, "the troubles of my heart have multiplied." When your heart is troubled it often doesn't matter who is around. You will feel lonely. The passage doesn't say who is responsible for the multiplication of troubles in the psalmist's heart. But in the very next verse he asks for forgiveness of his sins. So I think it likely that he sees the multiplication of troubles in his heart to be as much his own fault as any one else's or of any arrangement of circumstances out of his control. We are often the king of multiplying the troubles of our own hearts. We are our own worst enemies. May God guard and protect us from ourselves and may we find refuge in him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home