hanlyblog

Thursday, October 30, 2008

SOTM 22: Interrogation Room

31"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.'[a] 32But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 5:31-32

We all know that sinking feeling when into the room walks that certain someone that we are convinced would be a better fit for our honey. It sticks with us all day, we can't get it out of our mind. We usually keep it to ourselves but sometimes we reach a breaking point. We are sitting on the couch cozied up with our honey and all of a sudden we turn the nice romantic warmth of our apartment into an interrogation room. "you totally like ______ don't you?" We blurt out. "Do you think _____ is a better match for you?" Now imagine if your honey's response was "I don't know." I don't imagine that would go over real well. What we want is for our honey to place us side by side with ______ and then tear them apart while singing our praises.

But I actually think that "I don't know, I don't think about anyone but you" is the better and more comforting answer. Because the other kind of answer requires us to do a comparison. It requires that we actually think in a "check-them-out sort of way" about ______. Even if we win the comparison game this time, there is that looming doubt about the next time, or the next. What keeps a relationship going isn't superior compatibility but single-mindedness. At the end of the day, I don't think I need to know that I am the best suited for my honey, just that I am the only one she thinks about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home